Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rose Magnet Tutorial

My good husband knows me well
For Christmas he mainly stuck to the crafting aisles

smart boy 

For a stocking stuffer, he picked up some Bake Shop Clay 
Which resulted in this:

Rose Magnet Tutorial


Difficulty: Easy-Peezy Pumpkin Squeezy
Time:  30 minutes
Cost: $1-2, depending on where you shop
Fun-ness: Would I lead you astray?


Materials Needed
Oven Bake Clay
Paint
Strong Magnet
Paint Brush
Glue Gun
Scissors
Oven

Step 1: Rolling the Center
Roll a ball about the size of a small marble. Press into a flat oval. Using your index finger and thumb, roll the clay into a spiral. The bottom should be closed, while the top open like a flower bud.


Step 2: Adding your Petals
Start by make a ball the size of a large pea. Flatten into an oval shape, and wrap loosely around the center. Create a second ball, flatten, and wrap around the center, overlapping the first petal. Continue this process until you have reached the size you want (or you just run out of clay)

Step 3: Creating your Base
You want a flat bottom to give the magnet plenty of surface to cling to. Easiest way is to use scissors, and carefully cut the bottom off. If you push down too hard, you will crush your petals...Like I did on my first attempt...

Step 4: Baking
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit (or whatever the package directs), and place on a cooking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Take out and allow to cool....Maybe take an ice cream break...


Step 5: Painting
Grab out your favorite paint color and go to town!


Step 6: Gluing the Magnet
Once you've painted your entire flower, hot glue the magnet onto the back. Honestly, I am a cheap-o, and busted a magnet off of a magnet clip from my fridge. It took a hammer, a screwdriver, and a husband. I'm sure that saved me all of 10 cents. 

And that's it!!


Cute, easy, and inexpensive. Could it get any better?

16 comments:

Stephanie Rose said...

LOVE - what about if we are out of ice cream? Can I substitute with cookies? Or will it mess up the outcome? :o)

Unknown said...

While ice cream is the preferred choice, cookies, candies and gingerbread houses would also suffice....they just might not taste as good... :)

Jenn said...

I LOVE this! I haven't played with clay since I was little. :)

Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs said...

That is seriously soooo darling!! I love it! Funny I was just teaching my daughter how t make pretty roses out of play dough! I never thought to use the bake clay! How fun.. im going to have to make a few of these! :)

Unknown said...

That is soooo cute!!!

HILLARY said...

That is so cute, any time you need a cute magnet you can just make one and it will be the right color!

Chiara said...

Darling--and I love the color! Yellow roses always make me happy!

Esther said...

Saw your link at the tea rose home linky. The rose is so real and pretty yellow. you seriously made that?:-)

Esther
http://www.creativitymypassion.blogspot.com/

Crafts a la Mode said...

Nice work. Linda

AllieMakes! said...

Very very cute!And it looks like it was pretty easy, huh?
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jenn said...

Love this idea!! Very cute!
Thanks for linking up to Craftify It Thursday!
Hope your having a great weekend!
Jennifer

Jonie Marie said...

I love this idea! I am going to feature this project on my blog tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and take a look. Grab a featured button while you're at it!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Jonie
easyascutandpaste.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

Love this! I'm totally making some. It would be a cute addition to a Mother's Day gift.

Leigha said...

Love this tutorial! I did something similar, but made it into a ring instead of a magnet...I'm a sucker for cocktail rings.

Off to explore...

Leigha

Anonymous said...

Hi thеre, just wanted to say, Ι loved thiѕ blog ρost.
It ωаs insріring. Keep on posting!


Also visit my wеbpagе :: garden centers denver

Anonymous said...

We paid him a lot of advantages working with a PA home builders in tennessee.
I have worked in different types of people with different strengths come together in a timely fashion.
As you know when it comes to arranging financing for your new home.
When researching potential new Home Builders In Tennessees to contact.