Monday, November 15, 2010

Don't Rag on the Rag

I am the type of person, that when I like something, I REALLY get into it, and I tend to brodcast my love to the world. For example, when Derek and I first got a ClearPlay DVD player, we were huge fans. We could watch all the rated R movies we wanted, without the rated R content. I would broadcast my love to anyone with ears (as I'm sure many of my friends, family, acquaintances, and grocery store clerks could attest). Heck, at one point, I stood by the ClearPlay stand in the mall, and talked to interested shoppers about how much I loved the player.

The point being, I have recently discovered the amazing-ness of knitted dishcloths. I mean, I am hooked, and I am not going back anytime soon. Not only are they fun to make, they are fantastic in the kitchen. You see, I am notorious for getting crud on the counter that I have to scratch off using my fingernails. Right before I left for Washington, my Mother-in-Law taught me how to make my very own knitted dishcloths using cotton yarn. The fiirst time I used one, I was amazed. They were able to scrub those tough pans, clean off the caked on counters, and had no problem getting the stove back to it's beautiful white color. Best of all, since the rag itself was so porous, it easily washed clean. I started making a second one right away.

I'm not a masterful knitter. I don't even know how to do it correctly. BUT it's easy to learn, and it's fun to do. AND if you make yourself a dishcloth, not only will you feel super self-reliant, you will also HAVE A DISHCLOTH!

Here's the one I was working on today (while sitting and chatting with a friend).

To make it, I just cast on 35 stitches, and start going. To measure a square, I constantly fold down one edge until the side edge meets up perfectly with the bottom edge (like an origami!). And let me just say, before you think I am this great knitter that knows how to do things, I'm not. End of story. I am a one trick pony, who loves her trick - DISHCLOTHS!

So, for those of you who are thinking "I want a dishcloth sooo badly! All we use are torn up pillowcases and paper towels", go out and buy a cotton spool and needles right now! Then watch this video. It'll show you all you need to know. Believe me, knitting is E-A-S-Y. Honestly, it's only 3 steps done over and over and over. In the immortal words of Water Boy - "You can do it!!"

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm too scared. I need you!

Avalon said...

I just love you! You make me laugh!

Lindy said...

hahaha--I now want a clear play and a knitted dish towel really badly. Almost enough to learn to knit...I just not all the way there yet. You are hilarious, and I found your blog from Ucreate :)

Unknown said...

Haha! I'm glad I persuaded you!! Maybe I should have gotten that "A" in persuasive writing... If only Mr. Bachman could see me now...