Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Silhouette Tutorial

***This tutorial is based on a tutorial done by The Pink Peony of Jardin for Halloween. It was so cute that I just had to do one for Christmas. PLUS, I already had the frames, and there is nothing my husband loves to hear more than "Free"

Christmas Silhouette Tutorial


Difficulty: Easy
Time: 1 hour
Cost: $3 max
Fun-ness: You're going to have a hernia...

Step 1: Find and Print
Print off chosen images in Black and White. I chose a nativity scene, and found/combined images off Google. As you can see, my printer is COMPLETELY out of Black ink, but it didn't really matter in the end. 



Step 2: Trace
Place a piece of heavy weight card stock on top of the printed images. Lightly tape together, and tape to a window. Lightly trace the outline of the images onto the card stock using a pencil. Also remember, if there is something you don't like, or something you want to add in, DO IT! It's your painting, so do what you want :)

Problem - No Stable.......... Solution - Add one!

Step 3: Paint
Grab some black paints and an assortment of paintbrushes (depending on how detailed your picture is). Carefully paint the insides of your tracing, working from the inside out. Make sure to dip your brush in paint often, because it helps keep your lines smooth. 



Step 4: Frame
The thing I love the most about this project is that it is super cheap. You can find black document frames at the Dollar Store for...Yep, you guessed it, $1.


And that's it! You're done! Easy, fun, and the end product looks oh so good! 

*** Want the PDFs? Check out this Post**

14 comments:

DanielleisNesting said...

These look absolutely amazing!

Unknown said...

Thanks Danielle! I can't take complete credit. My sister-in-law helped trace and paint :)

Unknown said...

So cute!

Linze Kate said...

I'm going to do these with the boys this week! However, I'm thinking CHUNKY pictures are better than ones with little details for these boys - cute idea! :)

*muah*

Jenny said...

Where did you find you images? I'm having a tough time "googling" for them. Thanks Cami!

Unknown said...

I'll make a PDF with them for ya!

Heidi said...

Ooh. This is a great idea! Could you please share the images you used? Thanks.

hoopesfam5 said...

Absolutely wonderful!! I had something similar in mind but hadn't been able to find the "right" pattern...I came across your blog during my google search.

You're awesome for sharing your work...thanks for the inspiration!! I love how your silhouette frames turned out!!

Bonnie B. said...

Wow. Nice job!!
Came over from the Nativity Parade.

Jess said...

That is awesome. I have wanted a Nativity for years but my youngest is still to young to not play with it. This is perfect!!!

Maria Babin said...

wonderful idea, simply beautiful
please link up, grab a button, join the party
http://busyasabeeinparis.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-ideas-for-children-des-idees.html
xo
maria

Liz said...

I'd like a copy of the pdf too please! LOVE this idea!!!
ERLangston @ Frontiernet.net (minus the spaces of course!)

Amy said...

This is so elegant and simple at the same time! It's beautiful! Do you mind sending me the pdf? I would love to do these for next year.

Thanks for showing us how it's done!
amywhitmer@hotmail.com

christine said...

I would like the pdf, too. Would you please send it to me.
Thanks,
Chris
christinestrong@gmail.com