If you've ever done something similar with a baby, you'll know why I feel this is an accomplishment in and of itself. Zoey was quite the champ (most of the time), and was amazing on the drive. All it took was an entire box of cheerios.
After a long stop in Utah, and a brief stop in Michigan, we arrived in Williamsburg late at night about a month ago
When we walked in the door our hearts sank. The house was a disaster - dead bugs and leaves covered the carpets, huge spiders in every corner, dirt tracked throughout the house, holes and cracks covering the wall and ceiling, mold, cracked blinds, the most disgusting kitchen I've been in, cockroaches.... the list goes on and on. I felt as if we had made a huge mistake. The house was barely livable.
Luckily, my mom was on her way and drove out from Michigan to help me fix it up. In the week she was here we fixed up the kitchen, living room and dining room. I honestly couldn't have done it without her. She is the QUEEN of home repair. I actually feel like the place is livable!!
Here are some before and after pictures of the kitchen!
Here's what we did -
- Stripped, sanded, stained and sealed the cabinets back to their original color (This was my mom's project... it took 4 days.... she is AMAZING)
- Put in new hardware on all the cabinets
- Stripped the the wallpaper
- Scrubbed all the walls, and floors, including under the stove and dishwasher
- Scrubbed the junk out of the fridge to get rid of all the rust spots
- Spackled and sanded about 50 holes.
- Painted all the walls a grey green color
- Painted the trim a bright white
- Installed new white switch plates
- created a kick board to go under the lower cupboards to cover up the nasty wood/ dishwasher bottom
- brought in rugs to cover sun damage near the sliding door as well as a matching one for the sink
- Replaced missing slats for the kitchen door as well as clean the track, and WD40 the door wheels
I am just so thankful my mom was here to help!!! I couldn't have done 1/10th of it without her!!